We have long known that sex can help to improve just about any relationship. But in recent years researchers have uncovered more evidence of how an active sex life can actually improve your physical health as well as intimacy. Listed below are just a few of the unexpected bonuses coupled with more frequent bedroom activity.
Active Sex Improves your mind
Intercourse is a great way to destress after a long day. You may think that you’re not in the mood after work, kids, traffic, etc. However, studies show that due to the oxytocin and endorphins released during sex relaxes you and can help with depression and anxieties, making you feel better about your day.
It is a common knowledge that a good night’s rest is the key to a healthier you; and you guessed it, intimacy is an excellent way to help achieve that much-needed shut-eye. After an orgasm, your body releases prolactin which is a hormone detected at higher levels when we sleep. A word of warning, very active sex can have an adverse effect so keep things slow and sweet.
Heightens Immunity… Sex isn’t all dirty. Researchers at Wilkes University in PA found that the more sex you have the less chance you have of getting sick. This is due to the antibody immunoglobulin that fights diseases and raises your immune system. So if you start to feel a little under the weather, try climbing under the covers and not sleeping to aid in a more speedy recovery.
Skip the Gym
A lively session with your partner can be just as effective at helping you tone your body as hitting the gym. With the right amount of thrusting, you can work out your abs, back, buttocks, and thighs; not to mention the cardio. If you are feeling a little flabby, kick your insecurities to the curb and “get on top” of your workout routine.
Supports Bodily Health
If you have a history of high blood pressure, maybe you haven’t spent enough time between the sheets. Many studies have found sexual intercourse with a partner helped to lower systolic blood pressure. Sex is also good for keeping the heart racing to lessen your chance of heart attack. It is said that men who have sex at least twice a week or more have decreased the risk of cardiovascular disease as well as prostate cancer.
There are numerous benefits for women with active sex lives. Just to name a few…
- Pain relief– after climax morphine-like endorphins are released, soothing your aches and pains.
- Prolonged Youth– Women who have sex at least 4 times a week release hormones that promote better skin and hair keeping them looking younger longer.
- Easier “Time of the Month”– Orgasming can help end your period faster and with fewer cramps.
- Bladder Control– It helps to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles improving your control and lessening your chances of becoming one of the 30% of women with an overactive bladder.
- Improves your want– If you’ve ever found yourself wanting to have more sex but never seem to be in the mood, Dr. Lauren Streicher suggests “just doing it.” as the act of having intercourse actually helps raise your libido. So you will want more sex more often.
With the many rewards stemming from a vigorous sexual appetite, there is a little keeping you from taking advantage of the benefits and improving your life in the process. Here’s to a healthier happier you!