Breastfeeding is something to be stressed upon significantly when on the journey of motherhood. Nothing can replace the benefits of mother’s milk no matter how expensive formula you buy. It is a priceless gift from a mother that can protect baby from countless pathogenic attacks. Also, it greatly helps in nourishing and nurturing a baby. In recent years greater awareness on breastfeeding has led to the increased use of breast pumps especially by working moms. Breast pumping has enabled moms to breastfeed for a longer period of time. Below you will learn a lot about breast pumping tips and techniques.
1-Initiate breast pumping as early as possible
Once you have delivered baby whether normal or premature take the initiative to breastfeed. In certain cases your baby may be kept in the nursery for observation, even then don’t step back. Always try breast pumping and convey expressed mother’s milk in the nursery. It has miraculous healing powers.
2-Demand and supply
Mother feed greatly works on demand and supply rule. The more you practice breast pumping the greater amount of milk you can produce. Frequent breast pumping send stimulus to the brain to increase milk production. Hence substituting one time of breast milk with formula reduces milk production for that time. However, if you want to stock some milk for the time you are unavailable try breast pumping every quarter of an hour. This technique is initially exercised to stimulate brain for more milk. Don’t panic if you express few teaspoons in beginning. This exercise has a long-term effect.
3-Stick to a routine
If breast pumping exercise is a part of your daily routine, it is advised to remain glued to a schedule. By doing so your body remains prepared for extra milk production around that time.
4-Stress less express more
Just like any other healthy activity, breast pumping is negatively affected by stress and anxiety levels. You can visibly spot the difference in the quantity of milk expressed when stressed and when relaxed. Few minutes of deep breathing can wipe out an extra load of tensions and ease out breast pumping session.
A gentle massage around areola stimulates milk production. Also, compressing your breast with warm hands or pads stimulates let-down of milk.
While breast pumping posture plays the essential role. Sitting upright with straight back and shoulders avoid extra exertion and maintain the right milk flow.
7-Connection of baby cries with milk let down
Nature has designed humans miraculously. The cry of a baby is a natural stimulant for let-down of milk. So breast pumping with a crying baby may help in increased quantity of milk supply. But if you are in the office or separate work environment keep your baby stuff like picture or clothes handy. The more you feel your baby, the easier breast pumping becomes.
While breastfeeding mommies should take extra care of your diet. According to dieticians around extra calorie intake of 500 cal is required for a nursing mom. So stay hydrated, increase your milk intake and consume healthy foods. Cumin and mustard seeds are given along with a hot cup of milk in some places to increase mother milk.
9-Finding the right pump for breast pumping
- Every woman has different breast size and shape so every individual has different requirements for pumping. Please note that shield size (the part that encircles areola and establishes vacuum on the breast) should well fit the breast. Make sure that easy To and Fro movement of breast remain intact and it does not rub with shield wall.
- Successful breast pumping is achieved with enhanced let-down reflex. If you feel pain while doing so you will barely attain it. If this is the case, check the shield size and suction level of the pump. Always express when you are at highest level of Comfort Vacuum. Actually, it is maximum tolerable vacuum level for a mother where breast pumping is at an optimum level.
According to Diana West, a lactation consultant in New Jersey, IBCLC, “Mothers returning to work after their milk supplies are established will need a pump that withdraws milk as effectively as possible but is also portable and convenient”.
10-Electric or manual
The decision is purely personal. Women with lesser breast pumping requirement prefer manual breast pumps. Single or double breast pump is another consideration. However, double pump is the preferable choice for working women. Greater expression of milk is achieved due to higher prolactin level while using the double pump. Also, pumping time is reduced by half when using the electric double pump. However, some mothers report using the electric pump as a painful experience. The simple solution is to adjust Maximum Comfort Vacuum.
11-Breast Pumping helps mothers with over milk supply
If your baby consumes lesser than your produced quantity you can save it for a later time. Breast pumping prevents your breast from engorgement and mastitis. Also, your shirts from chest area remain clean without any sign of milk leakage if you practice regular breast pumping.
Hygiene and cleanliness really need to be practiced all times primarily dealing with baby stuff. Babies are vulnerable to catch infections and diseases soon so, due care is essentially required. Make sure collecting bottle, breast pump and all associated items are thoroughly washed and sterilized. Wash your hands and carefully clean your breasts with a damp cloth or take a shower. Frequently change your nursing bra to avoid any stinky smell. Sometimes babies resist breastfeed if you are too sweaty, so make sure you don’t have any odor.
13-Storing breast milk
- Breast pumping may seem to be laborious works but its benefits simply scale back the applied efforts. Once you have expressed milk storing comes next stage. Mostly storing bottles are available with the pump. Also, specially designed plastic bags are available to secure milk. At 25 degrees it can remain unexpired for up to 6 hours. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 4days and in the freezer for even months.
- Save milk in small quantities so that you need to thaw only a small amount. Also, it prevents chance of wasting breast milk
- Never apply direct heat to breast milk. Do not warm it in the microwave or directly on the pan. Thawing is the best technique to warm it.
- Don’t forget to label bottles, consume them in chronological order.
This is it for now. Don’t forget to leave your feedback and comments.